Dec 13, 2012

WonderWorks: Technology

http://librarymakers.blogspot.com/2012/12/wonderworks-technology.html
Technology for Tots--let's start with the obvious.

Apps for Kids

Supplies:
iPads, iPod touches, iPhones as available (some of the parents and caregivers brought their own devices, the rest were owned by the library)

What we read:

cover art Push button / Aliki


For this age group, the goal of studying "technology" is simply to become familiar with the variety of tools available that can help us do the things we need to do or learn.  Most people (myself included) think first of electronic technology, so I chose to have this first class explore some of the best apps available for Apple devices (the library is not affiliated with Apple, that's just the tools we happen to own and with which I am most familiar in this area).
 Before the class, I added five free apps to the library-owned devices:  Toca Kitchen Monsters, Pettson's Inventions Lite, Letter School Lite, Tizzy Seasons Lite and Lazoo Squiggles.
 I also provided parents with a longer list of free and paid apps that I've compiled after testing them with my own son.  (You can see that list and watch it grow on my Pinterest board here.)
 The most popular games were the Toca Kitchen Monsters and Pettson's Inventions Lite.
 I also reminded parents that the best learning takes place when (at least when learning a new game) adults work together with the kids.  That interaction can be very rewarding for both kids and adults!
Do you have other favorite apps for kids?  Please share them in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Template developed by Confluent Forms LLC; more resources at BlogXpertise